Keeping your baby calm during diaper change can seem like a HUGE job. These tiny little people have a lot of energy and can be quite squirmy. This week our momstown Milton Baby Basics program was sponsored by Walmart Canada and we learned some great tips from our moms on how they keep their baby relaxed during changes.
1. Talk and sing to them – the sound of a calm parent can relax your child. If they are focused on you, they will be less likey to put up a battle while changing them. Making funny faces can have them giggling and make it a lot more fun for both of you.
2. Give them a toy – Books, toys or anything that makes noise is a great distraction. Diaper changes are boring for your little one. Giving them something to play with will help keep them occupied while you get the job done.
3. Change the scene – Ditch the table and try a different location. Some little ones just don't like the change table. Try using the floor so they are closer to their usual environment.
4. Place a firm grip on both ankles with one hand. This will help minimalize movements and rolling around. It also makes it a lot easier for you to wipe and get the diaper on.
5. Keep them warm – Babies DO NOT like to be cold. Many moms use a wipes warmer to help reduce the chill. Another great tip was to use a space heater in the room to reduce the baby feeling uncomfortble when clothes are removed.
Would love to hear other suggestions you may have to make your diaper change experiences more enjoyable!